Superintendent Eric Hindes and Bayside Resort Golf Club were the hosts for our April ESAGCS meeting. Forty plus superintendents and industry representatives were on hand for the meeting. We were pleased to have Chase Rogan, GCSAA Field Staff Representative for the Mid Atlantic on hand to speak to the group. The weather was also a touch nicer this time around and we were treated to a fantastic golf course. Here is a recap of the event –
Chase Rogan touched on many of the latest GCSAA initiatives relevant to the group. They included:
- Rounds 4 Research rounds4research.com “Golf facilities can support the effort by donating rounds of golf for two or four or “stay and play” packages and other items that will be auctioned online at www.biddingforgood.com” Now is the time to donate a 4-some for R4R. Public auction runs congruently with U.S. Open on June 8-21. All proceeds benefit turf research.
- Talked about state BMP programs around the region – Chase is working with PA and MD to develop statewide BMP models. These BMPs are important for advocacy and government relations initiatives. The GCSAA is working on putting together a BMP template for states to use when developing their own statewide models.
- WOTUS (Waters of the US). Bill has been introduced and passed through the House Committee that would stop EPA from changing the WOTUS rule (which is what we want). EPA is reaching with their proposed changes, and the House is looking to stop those changes with this proposed bill (Bill H.R. 1732) More can be found on the GCSAA government relations page.
- Chase asked the group to take GCSAA’s nutrient use survey. He reminded us that these surveys are important for our government relations initiatives.
- Lastly, he talked about National Golf Day (April 15) – NGD has been a huge success and growing bigger and bigger. On Earth Day, April 22, the GCSAA used multiple media outlets to promote golf in the context of environmental stewardship and sustainability.
Stableford format, blind draw 2 man teams – High Net:
1st place: Tom Tipton, Michael Stowers 27/32 59
2nd place: Pat Reibe, Ken Ingram 26/31 57
3rd place: Joel McTavish, Doug Rider 25/29 54
4th place: Todd Cowing, Mark Merrick 21/31 52