Job no: 494155
Work type: AFSCME
Categories: Facilities Management, Full Time
CLASSIFICATION TITLE: GROUNDS TECHNICIAN AFSCME LOCAL 3472
Monday – Friday, 7:30 am – 3:30 pm
Days off: Sat/Sun
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Under general supervision performs skilled work related to landscape maintenance and landscape construction. Performs inspection, diagnosis problems and performs maintenance of turf, trees, and shrubs. Applies fertilizers, T&O (turf & ornamental) materials.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF CLASSIFICATION: This is skilled, specialized work which requires knowledge of technical equipment and the application of T & O chemicals including the ability to read, understand, and follow product labels.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative only)
- Follows continuous turf and ornamental chemical program in order to control weeds, insects, fungi, and disease in turf, trees and shrubs.
- Prepares areas such as ornamental beds for the installation of a variety of plant material; installs plant material.
- Establishes lawns via seed or sod.
- Applies pesticides and fertilizers needed to control weeds, insects, fungi, and/or disease in turf, trees and shrubs according to product label directions.
- Controls landscape or turf problem areas.
- Operates and maintains equipment such as spray trucks, tractors, sod cutters, slit seeders, aerification equipment, and other vehicles with trailer or attachments, necessary to complete assignments.
- Calibrates equipment used to perform landscape maintenance such as sprayers, spreaders and slit seeders.
- Maintains chemical inventory and storage area; follows University regulations related to the safe disposal of chemicals; maintains daily agricultural chemical application log.
- Maintains current information on the diagnosis and treatment of pests. Must understand and follow MSDS sheets, product labels and applicable laws and/or regulations governing pesticide use;
- Performs snow removal and deicing functions, as required. Can be assigned to weather related work.
- Inspects, adjusts and makes repairs to landscape irrigation system (from swing joint to head). Sets and operates controllers and timers for maintenance purposes.
- Uses computer to access e-mail, receive work instructions and other administrative information to include electronic payroll forms. Communicates via department approved communication system.
- Performs adjustments and minor repairs to paver surfaces.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: With or without assistance, must be able to frequently lift and carry equipment and job-related materials weighing up to 50 pounds. Employee must lift, tug, pull and transport, with or without assistance, both small and heavy equipment and material, as necessary.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS/OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURES: The physical
environment requires this classification to work outside in both extreme heat and cold conditions as well as conditions that are both wet/humid, dry and during times when temperatures are below 32° F for more than one-hour periods. Environment may frequently include dust and/or airborne particles and occasionally loud noise, chemicals, gases, fumes and vibration. For this reason, employee is required to wear designated personal protective equipment to include, but not limited to, ANSI-approved safety eyewear, gloves, hearing protection, filter cartridge respiratory equipment and footwear to prevent exposure to hazardous materials, noise, dust and/or airborne particles.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Advanced knowledge of weeds,
trees and turf including species, growth habits, insect and disease problems; ability to safely use the appropriate equipment, material and procedures for the treatment of weeds, trees and turf. Basic math skills including knowledge of measurements and conversions. Knowledge of underground irrigation systems including the operation, maintenance (from the swing joint to the irrigation head only), and trouble shooting as required.
REQUIRED MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: Requires a high school diploma, GED or equivalent. Requires one year or equivalent of college course work including courses such as horticulture, plant science and/or agriculture, and two years’ experience in landscape and turf maintenance in an institutional setting or with a commercial firm that maintains properties. A minimum of one (1) year related experience in the turf & ornamental chemical field.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENT: Must pass a preemployment drug screening and be willing to enroll in a Department of Transportation (DOT) random drug testing program.
Must possess and maintain a valid Commercial Drivers License (CDL) with at least a Class B endorsement, airbrake endorsement and a valid DOT medical certificate throughout the entire time employed in this classification. Must possess a valid Commercial Pesticide Applicator’s License in the turf and ornamental category as required by the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act issued by DDA throughout the entire time employed in this position.
NOTE: Employees hired into this position must obtain their CDL within 60 days of date of hire. Employees who are transferred/promoted within the University of Delaware into this position must obtain their CDL within six (6) months from the date of transfer/promotion.
Employees hired, transferred, or promoted into this position must obtain their DDA Commercial Pesticide Applicator’s License within six (6) months from the date entered into position.
To apply go to: https://careers.udel.edu/cw/en-us/job/494155/grounds-technician
Applications close: Open until filledContact for more info
Assistant Superintendent – Prospect Bay Country Club
Prospect Bay Country Club is seeking an assistant golf course superintendent to join our team.
We are a member-owned private community golf course located minutes from the Bay Bridge on Maryland’s Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay. The 18 hole championship golf course features both warm and cool season grasses with 2 very distinct 9 holes. Recent upgrades include a new Rainbird IC irrigation system completed in 2016, as well as many tee, fairway, and equipment upgrades. A new maintenance facility is also being planned for the fall of 2019.
- 2 or 4 year degree in Turfgrass Management or turf-related field preferred
- Experience Requirements:
- Previous golf course or turfgrass management experience
- Knowledge of the game of golf
- The successful candidate must show experience in the following:
- Previous supervisory experience with an emphasis on crew management and training.
- The ability to multi-task daily assignments and crew management tasks under direction of the Superintendent.
- Possess strong communication and organizational skills with an attention to detail.
- Knowledge of agronomic programs for both cool and warm season grasses in the transition zone.
- Chemical and fertilizer application experience with the ability to possess or obtain a Maryland State pesticide and fertilizer applicators license.
- The ability to work and communicate with Spanish speaking employees.
Date Available: ASAP
Application Instructions: Please email cover letter and resume
Salary Range: $43,000+DOE
- Vacation and Sick leave
- Membership to professional organizations
- Golf privileges
Spray Technician Cripple Creek Country Club
Cripple Creek Country Club is located five miles west of Bethany Beach DE. The course plays along the Indian River Bay and a 90 acre salt marsh. This will be the first full season with our renovated short game and range tee expansion.
High school diploma.
Must have pesticide license.
We are looking for highly motivated individual with a good work ethic and knowledge of turf.
Golfing , Uniforms Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Year End Bonus,
Date Job is Available
April 8, 2019
$ 15.00 per hour
Job Application Instructions
Email resume to email@example.com